All accidents abroad to be investigated by independent, unbiased experts
Previously I have been involved both in the UK and abroad in investigating serious accidents and deaths at holiday complexes. At present these investigations are being carries out by personnel who do not have the skills or knowledge to identify design and operational faults.
Tragic drownings in Spain
Having seen the pool on the news last night (30/12/2019), it is obvious that this pool was hazardous and does not comply with the Federation of Tour Operator’s (FTO) standards.
There should be two outlets on the bottom to basically prevent excessive suction. There is just one and this is a size designed only for a domestic pool. I believe that with a site visit, I would find numerous other hazards and non-compliance
The report done by the police can only be a ‘cover up’ to prevent damage to the Spanish tour industry, the site and the tour operators Once again, the only way to avoid this is independent inspections by qualifies and experienced personnel.
I have previously been involved in the investigations of five drownings in Spain, Egypt, Greece, the Canaries and the UK on behalf of holiday companies, solicitors and families. It would appear that the pool involved was not lifeguarded. In Spain unless the pool surface is greater than 200m2 a lifeguard is not required under BSEN15288 and/or national guidance. In pools more than 200 and up to 500m2 only one is required. I am unsure of this pool’s area or depth. There is no mention of the depth of the water in Spain under BSEN15288 and/or national guidance, whereas in the UK the requirement for continuous supervision aka life-guarding, according to the Health & Safety’s document HSG179, ‘Management of Health & Safety in Swimming Pools’, it applies to pools larger than 170m2 or deeper than 1.5 metres. Type of use, etc. is also a factor to be considered. There has been an allegation saying the nine year old girl’s swim cap was found in the pool suction system and this raises the distinct possibility that entrapment was a factor in this accident. The Police say it was safe but I personally believe they would not have the knowledge, experience or ability to carry out this type investigation. In the UK this would be investigated by the HSE or the local EHO with hopefully someone knowledgeable from our industry.
This tragedy occurred on the week when the holiday companies are heavily marketing holidays. This tragedy occurred on the week when the holiday companies are heavily marketing holidays. Plus in Spain who are still suffering from the collapse of Thomas Cook and this is the last thing either would need in the present situation. I believe that the investigation of this type of incident and others of a similar nature should be carried out by independent experts and not those with other agendas working for the site operator or the holiday company.
‘Perfect breeding ground for nasty bacteria’: Big Brother consultant warns of the hidden menace of hot tubs
Allen Wilson says they can contain life-threatening bacteria if not maintained properly.
A HELPLESS mum-of-two was stripped naked and nearly left paralysed after a freak accident at a waterpark in Egypt.
Tracy Turner, 51, suffered crushed bones and fractures to her back and neck after being knocked backwards while using a wave rider machine at the park attached to the Coral Sea Aqua Club Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh.
Mum stripped naked and nearly paralysed after freak accident on wave machine
Tracy Turner was just millimetres from ending up permanently disabled after crushing bones between her vertebrae in her back.
WOULD YOU LET YOUR KID ON THIS?
‘Terrifying’ inflatable slide pictured next to edge of Brighton pier – days after eight kids were hurt in Woking incident
Brighton Pier bosses said the ride is tested daily, and also receives an annual safety certificate provided by a recognised third party
A SAFETY expert has claimed it is “terrifying” a giant inflatable slide positioned on the edge of Brighton Pier is only two metres from the sea.
AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN’, SAYS THE SUN NEWSPAPER
An Egyptian hotel where Thomas Cook customer couple died has been sued by FORTY Brits struck down with illnesses in just four years.
John Cooper, 69, and his 64-year-old wife Susan, from Burnley, died at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in Hurghada on Egypt’s Red Sea coast on Tuesday.
Health and safety expert Allen Wilson when interviewed by The Sun said words to the effect of: “Sadly this was an accident waiting to happen. In many cases instead of using experts like myself tour operators have now been using local reps to manage health and safety”.
Allen says; “Until about four years ago, two vastly experienced safety consultants and myself (also vastly experienced) carried out many inspections of new and old facilities throughout Europe, North Africa, Egypt, Turkey and Greece ensuring that facilities were safe and fit for purpose. We also carried out inspections following fatalities. Then for reasons unknown we were not commissioned to carry out any further inspections, perhaps to make savings, I don’t know”.
Allen Wilson is the pool Health & Safety consultant of choice, Now joining those using Allen’s expertise is Angela Rippon in her popular show, Holiday Hit Squad.
THE SUN Article: WATER in the Princess Diana memorial fountain is STILL a major health threat
Bacteria levels are 100 times above recommended limits. Some bugs found can cause diarrhoea, gastroenteritis, pneumonia, meningitis and septicaemia. Anyone who accidentally swallows a few drops or gets water in cuts or in their eyes could fall sick.
Yet just ONE teaspoonful of bleach may cure the problem. The expert who carried out tests for The Sun described the findings as “very disturbing”.
Allen Wilson, an international authority on pool and water safety, said bacteria will soar in spring and summer temperatures. He warned: “Do not enter this facility.” He said the fountain in London’s Hyde Park, developed at a cost of £5.2million, should be drained until effective water cleansing measures are in place.
When the memorial opened in July 2004, our tests revealed a potentially lethal cocktail of bugs like E.coli, streptococci, pseudomonas bacteria and coliforms. Shockingly, our checks this week revealed bacteria levels more than 100 times above World Health Organisation limits. Contamination is blamed partly on animal pollution such as squirrel droppings and rat urine. But litter and visitors ignoring signs which discourage paddling make it worse.
Allen warned: “At this level you have a very serious problem.“Very low levels of chlorine, probably just a teaspoonful of bleach, will control this threat to health.”The Royal Parks Agency spends around £200,000 a year maintaining the fountain. Officials say chlorinating and bleach would upset the water’s natural balance.
THE SUN Article: 32 ways a summer holiday can kill you
Allen featured in a SUN article edited by JANE SYMONS. Quotes used from Allen in the article included: “I could probably find fault in 19 out of 20 pools in holiday resorts.”
“The water should be bright and attractive.
“There have been many documented cases of children becoming trapped by water outlets.”
“Slots in pool bottom outlet covers should not be any larger than 8mm and covers should be firmly attached. If they aren’t, complain!”
THE SUN Article: Diana’s lethal fountain
Another shock article from the SUN revealed that the water in the Princess Diana memorial fountain is so infested with bacteria it poses a serious health risk and that one sample taken from the troubled £3.6million Hyde Park fountain was contaminated with 840 times the acceptable level of bugs.
Allen Wilson, quoted as the SUNS’s international authority on pool and water safety, said: “If the fountain wasn’t already closed, these results would shut it down immediately”.
Apparently the tests were taken just two days after the memorial had been emptied and cleaned, while the following day the fountain had been closed anyway because visitors to the park were slipping on algae growing on the granite surface.
NEWS OF THE WORLD Article: We find water rides at Britain’s top theme parks are infested with deadly bacteria
A News of the World investigation revealed ‘shock levels of killer bugs in the water which drenches millions who flock to log flume and river rides at tourist attractions across the country’.
Allen Wilson was quoted as the News of the World leading water expert saying “No one should be exposed to these levels of bacteria. The water is going all over people so it must be treated the same as in swimming pools.”
Allen helped the News of the World investigators take samples at each site, and was quoted as saying about one site “This water is unacceptably high in bacteria. It appears to be sourced from a river.”